Forest School Overview
with Activities – 6 hour [School PD day]
Classroom and Outdoor based
- Welcome & Introductions
- Our Experience
- Attendee Introduction [What is Forest school/outdoor learning experience do you have?]
- What is Forest Schools?
- Woodland Ecology
Exercise: Share a Memory [outdoor play memory – where were you, who were you with and what did it feel like?]
Take 10 min to discuss with the person you are seated next to and write a few words relating to the question. Each Leaner will stand up and tell the group their story.
- Aims of Forest School
- Principles of Forest School
- Role of the Adult
- Area of Exploration
Group Exercise: Having listened to the aim’s, principles and area of exploration. Take 20mins in groups of 3, discuss with your colleagues a forest school activity and each group will report it back.
- Sample range of activities.
- Looking at your Forest School Area
Group Exercise: Take 20mins and in the same groups and using a print out of your current site, name each area seen, plus any areas you would/might like to see.
- Creating Fire
- Creating a Den
- Risk Assessments – Importance
- Sample Risk Assessment
- Impact of Forest Schools
Outdoor Activities: Carousel of Forest School activities – split in to 3 groups
- Activity 1: Create a fire using fire steels and tinder and or using a Kelly Kettle
- Activity 2: Den building – tarp and rope or using natural materials
- Activity 3: Creating an Object – using tools